NewsPREMIUM

Man demands drugs and money back after raid

No arrests as police conduct operations at houses in Korsten and Schauderville

Police raid a home in Schauderville where drug paraphernalia was allegedly found on Wednesday
Police raid a home in Schauderville where drug paraphernalia was allegedly found on Wednesday (WERNER HILLS)

Minutes after police exited an alleged drug den in Korsten on Wednesday, a man dressed in flashy clothes arrived and demanded back the money and drugs that were confiscated.

Six people were inside the house but no-one was arrested.

According to police on the scene of the raid, it is believed drugs have been sold from the property for more than a decade.

Dressed in an expensive red Fabiani T-shirt and Louis Vuitton sunglasses, the man — who did not give his name — told the police they needed to return the money to one of the occupants of the house.

A quarrel ensued but police refused to give back the goods.

The raid comes in the lead up to Eastern Cape commissioner Major-General Thandiswa Kupiso’s Provincial Safer Festive Season Operations launch on Friday to declare the city’s state of readiness for the holiday season.

The launch, to be held along the Gqeberha beachfront, is set to showcase the police’s integration with other stakeholders in combating serious and violent crime.

In particular, gender-based violence and femicide, armed robberies and cross-border crime.

Kupiso is also expected to hand over brand-new vehicles to enhance operational capacity and heighten visibility during the festive season and beyond.

These operations will run in conjunction with the already existing Operation Shanela, targeting crime hotspots across the country.

Wednesday’s drug bust operations in Nelson Mandela Bay targeted two houses — the one in Korsten and a double-storey house in Schauderville in the northern areas.

The officers initially met at the 10111 centre in Schauderville at about 11am.

A fleet of about 12 police vehicles from various units, including the Anti-Gang Unit and Public Order Policing, then drove in convoy to the Schauderville residence.

The convoy attracted curious stares from residents.

On arrival in Jameson Road, officers carrying R5 rifles and wearing bulletproof vests cordoned off both ends of the street.

A group moved towards an expensive-looking double-storey house, entered the premises and conducted their search.

But only empty sachets, believed to be used to store dagga or other drugs, were found in a room inside the house.

Police then moved to the house in Chrissie Street, Korsten, which was fitted with security cameras.

Some officers scaled the roof, while others banged on the iron front door, which could only be opened from the inside.

When the occupants eventually opened up, the police moved inside, ordering the three women and two men to lie on the floor while they were searched.

Another man was found in an adjacent room. When the room was searched, drugs were allegedly found and confiscated.

Police also ripped up a section of the wooden floor in the hallway where a stash of drugs was allegedly discovered.

The flashily dressed man arrived as they were about to leave and made his demands.

Walter Sisulu University department of public management and governance policing programme co-ordinator Zimisele Nxafani said it was surprising that no arrests had been made at the Korsten house.

“There is prevalence of drug usage in the Eastern Cape and drugs are definitely contributing towards rampant criminal activities in the Nelson Mandela Bay area.

“If the intent is to clean the streets, then police should possibly have arrested them,” Nxafani said.

Police spokesperson Warrant Officer Majola Nkohli said officers searched two houses believed to be operating as drug posts, one in Schauderville and the second one in Korsten. 

No drugs were found in the first house, but illicit drugs including cocaine, tik, Mandrax tablets and heroin were allegedly found at the second house.

“Due to the circumstances on how and where the illicit drugs were found, no arrest could be effected, but an inquiry docket was opened for further investigation,” Nkohli said.

The Herald

 

 

 

 

 

Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.

Comment icon